Recipee for glutathione building blocks (take 1/2 of it twice daily):
- L-glutamine 50 mg
- L-glycine 50 mg
- N acetylcysteine (NAC) 900 mg
- Selenium as seleno-l-methionine 200 mcg
- Vitamin C 8 mg
- Q10 (ubiquinon) 10 mg
- B6 as p5p 13 mg
- B2 20 mg
Glutathione is produced by the body for multiple reasons. It is used in the thyroid to prevent oxidative stress and Hashimoto’s. Any illness causes rapid glutathione depletion.
Forms of glutathione modecules
- Reduced l-glutathione (GSH). This is the form you want if you want a good anti oxidant. When taken by mouth, it is digested in the stomach to its respective parts. This makes it difficult to raise glutathione levels through oral intake. However, even taking “only” 50 mg orally works great for me, explain that.
It neutralises free radicals (who damage your cells). It gives vitamin C and E a second life. It clears your cells of nitrate. It helps with building and repairing DNA, building proteins and enzyme activation. Especially the immune system, nervous system, gastrointestinal system and lungs depend on glutathione.
Gamma-Glutamylcysteinylglycine, Gamma-L-Glutamyl-L-Cysteinylglycine, Gamma-L-Glutamyl-L-Cystéinylglycine, Glutathion, Glutatión, L-Gamma-Glutamyl-L-Cysteinyl-Glycine, L-Gamma-Glutamyl-L-Cystéinyl-Glycine, L-Glutathion, L-Glutathione, GSH, N-(N-L-gamma-Glutamyl-L-cysteinyl)glycine
- Oxidized glutathione (GSSG). After GSH does its work, it is reduced to GSSG. GSSG does not do anything useful in your body. It can reverted back to GSH if you have the proper enzyme.
Other name: Glutathione disulfide
- Glutathione peroxidase (GPx). This is an enzyme. It has a selenium atom in it. It is used by the body to protect from wrong fats and also to render hydrogen peroxide harmless (it reduces it to water). Your body makes this when it has all the building blocks for GSH plus selenium.
Since glutathione is broken down when taken orally, below are listed some parts of glutathione and where to find them.
Glutathione is made from the amino acids L-cysteine, L-glutamic acid and glycine. Especially cysteine can be lacking in diet. Notice that both cottage cheese and whey protein (not denatured) are excellent providers of these amino acids. You will also need the B-vitamins, selenium (for the production of glutathione peroxidase) and Q10.
- L-glutamine is an amino acid. http://www.livestrong.com/article/249890-list-of-foods-that-contain-glutamine/
Fish and meat such as beef, chicken, pork and turkey provide a rich glutamine source. Other excellent sources include beans, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese and cottage cheese.
- L-glycine is an amino acid. For sources see l-glutamine.
- NAC http://www.livestrong.com/article/531520-food-sources-of-n-acetyl-cysteine/
NAC delivers the cystein. Cottage cheese, liver, heart, and cold processed milk whey and egg protein powder are all excellent sources of amino acids. Taken as a whole food, less is needed for absorption is better.
Always take amino acids with fat, preferably with fat that contains vitamin A.
Coenzyme Q10 is found highest in red meats, and is particularly high in organ meats such as liver and heart. Over cooking the meat reduces the amounts of CoQ10, boiling and frying appear to have the greatest negative impact on the CoQ10 content of the meats.
You need less Q10 when it comes from a whole food than when it comes from a supplement.
- Selenium can be found in Brewer’s yeast as well as liver.
- B-vitamins. Brewer’s yeast and liver are good sources of easily absorbed B-vitamins. Also, you get the natural kinds instead of the synthetic kinds that are often found in supplements.
It’s not supposed to be possible, but I get great results when I take reduced reduced l-glutathione orally. I do get the best results when I take it on an empty stomach though, so maybe it is absorbed through the stomach lining?
What also works really well is opening a capsule (that you would normally swallow) and putting the content under your tongue. Leave it there to be absorbed directly into the blood vessels that run there.
This site says to take 20 to 40 mg per kg body weight daily. But the site is for skin whitening, so I don’t know how much to take for my problems (hypothyroidism, heavy metal toxicity, detoxing fibrocystic breasts). If I were to take the amount recommended on the site, I would take 2500 mg daily.
Function in the body
I use 100% Whey Protein Isolate from Royal Green. It is not denatured, which means that the production takes place in sufficiently cold temperatures so the proteins aren’t changed ( read: cooked).