Excellent info on progesterone and estrogen dominance in this book: What your doctor may not tell you about Menopause, John R. Lee MD. Also a good book of his is “Hormone balance made simple” about HRT.
There’s also his site, but if you really want to look into HRT, buy his books.
Progesterone should be balanced with estrogen and visa versa.When there is too much estrogen in the body this is called estrogen dominance.
Progesterone and Estrogen
- progesterone and pregnenolone act on the GABA receptor, to reinforce the protective, inhibitory effects of GABA. Estrogen has the opposite effect, inhibiting GABA’s action. Since GABA opposes estrogen and inhibits the growth of breast cancer, it wouldn’t be surprising if glycine, alanine, etc., did the same.
- Progesterone increases the heart’s pumping efficiency, and estrogen is antagonistic, and can produce cardiac arrhythmia
- In the context of the excitatory actions of estrogen, and the inhibitory action of glycine, it would be reasonable to think of glycine as one of the antiestrogenic substances.
- One of estrogen’s “excitatory” effects is to cause lipolysis, the release of fatty acids from storage fat; it directs the conversion of glucose into fat in the liver, so that the free fatty acids in the circulation remain chronically high under its influence. The free fatty acids inhibit the oxidation of glucose for energy, creating insulin resistance, the condition that normally increases with aging, and that can lead to hyperglycemia and “diabetes.”
My normal dosage has been one pump (=20 mg) twice a day. When I get estrogen dominant, I can take as much as 6 pumps a day. Any time I get tired I take a pump. It works in minutes.
Each pump delivers 20 mg through the skin.
- Now Foods Natural Progesterone, Liposomal Skin Cream, Scent Free, 3 oz (85 g).
One full pump dispenses about 1.3 g of cream, providing 20 mg of USP Progesterone. This container yields approximately 65 pumps.
This equals to 14.65 / 65 * 30 = $ 6.76 per 30 pumps (each delivering 20 mg Progesterone).
- Life Flo Health, Progesta-Care, Body Cream, 4 oz (113.4 g).
Each full press of the pump provides approximately 20 mg of natural Progesterone USP. This progesterone cream is formulated to contain 480 mg of progesterone per ounce.
So, 4 oz contains 480 * 4 = 1920 mg of Progesterone. 1920 / 20 = 96 pumps.
This equals to 25.48 / 96 * 30 = $ 7.96 per 30 pumps (each delivering 20 mg Progesterone).